A Luminous Halo

"Life is not a series of gig lamps symmetrically arranged; life is a luminous halo, a semi-transparent envelope surrounding us from the beginning of consciousness to the end." --Virginia Woolf

My Photo
Name:
Location: Springfield, Massachusetts, United States

Smith ’69, Purdue ’75. Anarchist; agnostic. Writer. Steward of the Pascal Emory house, an 1871 Second-Empire Victorian; of Sylvie, a 1974 Mercedes-Benz 450SL; and of Taz, a purebred Cockador who sets the standard for her breed. Happy enough for the present in Massachusetts, but always looking East.

Monday, March 07, 2011

Movie Food: Spicy Indian Puffed Rice

Mondays have become movie nights at my house. Alma and I go to Chinese class from 3:15 till 6:15, she drives me home, I invite her in, and we make Chinese food for supper. Then we eat it while watching a Chinese movie with English subtitles. Occasionally we are able to pick out a word, which excites us.

Today we shook things up a bit by adding a snack which wasn't Chinese. I had some puffed rice laying around, left by my former housemate. I don't like cold cereal, so I decided to jazz it up. I fried some peanuts in the wok, added several cloves of crushed garlic, cumin, turmeric, garam masala, and chili powder, plus the rice, with enough oil so it wouldn't burn or stick. Better than popcorn!

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home