A Luminous Halo

"Life is not a series of gig lamps symmetrically arranged; life is a luminous halo, a semi-transparent envelope surrounding us from the beginning of consciousness to the end." --Virginia Woolf

My Photo
Name:
Location: Springfield, Massachusetts, United States

Smith ’69, Purdue ’75. Anarchist; agnostic. Writer. Steward of the Pascal Emory house, an 1871 Second-Empire Victorian; of Sylvie, a 1974 Mercedes-Benz 450SL; and of Taz, a purebred Cockador who sets the standard for her breed. Happy enough for the present in Massachusetts, but always looking East.

Tuesday, October 14, 2008

What I Had for Lunch Today: Eggplant, Artichoke and Mushroom Pizza

Pizza dough from scratch is ridiculously easy to make, but pizza dough you buy in the deli is even easier. One bag, which cost me $2.31, made two freeform pies. I had homemade marinara sauce on hand, so I used that. I sliced half an eggplant very thin and fried the slices in hot oil, sprinkling them with salt as they cooked to wilt them faster. Then I sautéed some sliced mushrooms in the same pan. I distributed the eggplant, the mushrooms, and a few marinated artichokes over the pizza, threw some shredded mozzarella over everything, and baked in a hot oven--around 450 degrees. I greased the pan with olive oil and dusted it with stoneground yellow cornmeal before I placed the dough on it. The crunchy bottom crust was the best part of this pizza.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

How surprising of you to 'buy' something so cheap and easy to make from scratch!!! Are we becoming lazy in our old age, or just more practical????
Your favorite sister...

11:38 AM  
Blogger Cicily Corbett said...

What can I say? I was walking by the deli and saw these beautiful, puffy pillows of dough, straining to get out of their plastic straitjackets. I just had to rescue at least one....

12:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home