A Luminous Halo

"Life is not a series of gig lamps symmetrically arranged; life is a luminous halo, a semi-transparent envelope surrounding us from the beginning of consciousness to the end." --Virginia Woolf

My Photo
Name:
Location: Springfield, Massachusetts, United States

Smith ’69, Purdue ’75. Anarchist; agnostic. Writer. Steward of the Pascal Emory house, an 1871 Second-Empire Victorian; of Sylvie, a 1974 Mercedes-Benz 450SL; and of Taz, a purebred Cockador who sets the standard for her breed. Happy enough for the present in Massachusetts, but always looking East.

Wednesday, May 17, 2006

Euromillionaire

Today I learned that I won the "El-Lotonazo Lottery" held on the 24th of February with ticket # 02-3136, winning # 1-11-18-19-47+03-07 "on the 2nd category." My agent, Don. Felipe Acosta, kindly bought this ticket for me without my knowledge. All I have to do to claim my prize of 742, 185.57 Euros (US$888,248)--minus a commission of 6% to my agent--is to send to Ocaso Global Seguros S.A. my name, address, phone number, email address, bank name, address, account number, routing number, and a copy of my passport by May 31. Otherwise, the unclaimed money will be returned to the "Ministerio de Hacienda."

Almost a million dollars--wow! Too bad I don't believe in gambling. I'm going to let the Ministerio de Hacienda keep the money. But at least I got a pretty cool Spanish stamp out of the deal.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Cicily, I got the exact same El-Lotonazo letter with the same amounts and numbers. Clearly this is a scam, right? I actually did end up sending my information, and they wrote me back saying that I now have to pay $3000 in order to receive the money. I feel so stupid. Anyways, wanted to share that with you.

2:02 PM  
Blogger Cicily Corbett said...

Thanks for your input. Yes, of course it's a scam. And it's helpful for citizens out in cyberspace to know exactly what happens to those who don't just throw away the ticket and save the stamp. Do you know how many people arrive at my blog by having done a search for "el-lotonazo" or "ocaso global seguros"? Many, many hopeful, clueless people. And now the scammers have lots of bank routing numbers to play with.

4:42 PM  
Blogger powermagnus said...

Dear Cicily, thank you for sharing this with us.
I've also got the same exact letter as you did, with the same winning and lotery numbers.
This is definetly scam, But how do we stop cold hearted people like them??
Thanks

1:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

These people how do they get away with it.So i wrote back and told them they had won the british lottery and if they sent me £5,000 as my commission they could have my letter back that they sent me, and claim there 300,000 euros for themselves.No reply as yet

7:45 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home