A Luminous Halo

"Life is not a series of gig lamps symmetrically arranged; life is a luminous halo, a semi-transparent envelope surrounding us from the beginning of consciousness to the end." --Virginia Woolf

My Photo
Name:
Location: Springfield, Massachusetts, United States

Smith ’69, Purdue ’75. Anarchist; agnostic. Writer. Steward of the Pascal Emory house, an 1871 Second-Empire Victorian; of Sylvie, a 1974 Mercedes-Benz 450SL; and of Taz, a purebred Cockador who sets the standard for her breed. Happy enough for the present in Massachusetts, but always looking East.

Monday, January 15, 2007

Uncle Margaret's




Living in Springfield, I'm just 19 miles away from Northampton, Massachusetts, one of the best small cities in the world for strolling around. The other day I strolled over to Market Street to have a look at Modo Design, an extremely cool retro furniture shop. Sadly, it's gone, from Market Street at least. The proprietress of a neighboring shop explained that the owner's wife was so sick that he'd had to close the place in order to care for her. Fortunately, since this is the twenty-first century, Modo Design can continue as a cyber-shop.

I'd gotten all the way to Market Street and I couldn't visit Modo, so I visited Uncle Margaret's instead. Frances Paine's cute little shop features "practical and theatrical men and women's urban-used/vintage clothing." It's called Uncle Margaret's to emphasize that it's not only for women, but for men.

I need more frivolous undies like I need another great big hole in my head. Too bad. This little red bustier and taupe crinoline would look great in my closet...maybe even on me.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home