A Luminous Halo

"Life is not a series of gig lamps symmetrically arranged; life is a luminous halo, a semi-transparent envelope surrounding us from the beginning of consciousness to the end." --Virginia Woolf

My Photo
Name:
Location: Springfield, Massachusetts, United States

Smith ’69, Purdue ’75. Anarchist; agnostic. Writer. Steward of the Pascal Emory house, an 1871 Second-Empire Victorian; of Sylvie, a 1974 Mercedes-Benz 450SL; and of Taz, a purebred Cockador who sets the standard for her breed. Happy enough for the present in Massachusetts, but always looking East.

Thursday, April 27, 2006

Spider


I'm pulling my usual all-nighter because I have a deadline. And feeling mildly sorry for myself, although I frequently go 36 hours without sleep for no particularly good reason, and with no ill effects. As I sit, alternating between bouts of journalism and freecell, I'm noticing this spider going up and down, up and down next to me. She's spinning a thread, as Shakespeare, Bacon, and others have noted before me, entirely of her own substance. Whereas I'm just recycling the contents of a 200-page "Handbook for Conservators" of the Judicial Council of California. Question: Which one of us is the more creative?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home