A Luminous Halo

"Life is not a series of gig lamps symmetrically arranged; life is a luminous halo, a semi-transparent envelope surrounding us from the beginning of consciousness to the end." --Virginia Woolf

My Photo
Name:
Location: Springfield, Massachusetts, United States

Smith ’69, Purdue ’75. Anarchist; agnostic. Writer. Steward of the Pascal Emory house, an 1871 Second-Empire Victorian; of Sylvie, a 1974 Mercedes-Benz 450SL; and of Taz, a purebred Cockador who sets the standard for her breed. Happy enough for the present in Massachusetts, but always looking East.

Tuesday, February 08, 2011

Charmaine School of Dance

In the sixth grade, with my best friend Kathy Kos, I took dancing lessons at Charmaine School of Dance. Here's a Google shot of the block; the dancing school was upstairs, right in the front. That's the corner of White Street and Sumner Avenue in Springfield, Massachusetts. I'm talking 1959.

Charmaine was a blonde with big hair. She taught us four dances: the waltz, the fox trot, the cha cha, and the lindy hop. The waltz was easy, the fox trot I totally didn't get, the lindy hop terrified me. I did like the cha cha. One, two, onetwothree. One, two, onetwothree. One, two, onetwothree. Pretty easy.

First we were separated into two groups--boys and girls--and we practiced the basic steps. The cha cha was just a line, back and forth, back and forth. Then we had to partner up and dance around in a circle, mix it up. I hated that part. I didn't know anyone except Kathy, nobody talked to me, and everyone had sweaty palms and smelled like fear.

My first record was "Diana" by Paul Anka: a cha cha. I bought it the following year, in 1960. I carried it around with me and played it endlessly. When I played it, I did the cha cha by myself, as though following footprints on the floor. I can see myself now, in the finished basement at my Aunt Jean and Uncle Mickey's, playing that song and doing the cha cha. Back and forth and back and forth on a beautiful fur rug my uncle had brought back from one of his overseas trips. Wasn't I cool!

That was the room where my cousin Michael was to die, 45 years later, alone, while watching TV. I'm sure there's plenty more history in that room. But for me, it was only Paul Anka and the cha cha cha.

Labels:

8 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

I thought you might be interested in the following: before Charmaine's opened at the White St./Sumner Ave. location, the second floor dance studio was the home of Bourman School of Dance. It was operated by a dear, older Russian man who made even knock-kneed dancers like myself feel like princesses. I didn't know at the time, but it appears that Mr. Bourman was a significant part of the ballet scene in his early days: http://michaelminn.net/andros/biographies/bourman_anatole/

5:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I took from Charmaine back in the day, but it was ballet only. I wonder if you know what happened to her or Mrs. Sales (her mom I think) who used to be the "secretary"? Boy, just seeing that photo brought back memories. I think I still have my programs! Thanks for sharing.
~ Christine

7:20 PM  
Anonymous David Potter said...

I was one of Charmaine's earlier dance students. She and her family, Irving and Lenore Sayles, lived across the street from me. That's how myself and the neighborhood kids started dance classes. I started my dance classes, tap dancing, at the age of 7 during the 1957-58 season. Classes were held in the basement of Washington St. School. From there she opened her studio at the American Legion on Belmont Ave., then to a storefront the next block up on Belmont Ave. and finally in 1964 (January) to the 2nd floor ballroom style studio on the corner of Sumner Ave. and White St. This was formerly the Bourman Ballet School. I studied with her tap and jazz all the way through my highschool years...I was an assistant teacher, then a teacher for her school during my highschool years and a couple years out of highschool. I have been teaching dance ALL these years since then. Like Charmaine, I achieved a Masters degree in Dance Education MANY years ago now. Though our teaching styles are different, I still view dance as education not just something for the kids to do.

4:46 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I studied with Miss Charmaine for 15 years '67-'82. Even throughout the renovations after the 1st floor fire. Mrs Sales died of pneumonia I list track of Miss Charmaine. Boy what memories. Saturday morning make up classes ugh

10:59 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

My best friend Coreen and I took lessons from her for many year's! We were also her helpers at times. We took tap, jazz, bullet and toe. She was a very tough and dedicated teacher. I respect her to this day. I moved to California in 1982 and just didn't find any studio's there like hers so I really didn't take dance anywhere else. We had so much fun there and even our mom's who were best friends took lessons at night from her. Of course we were so embarrassed😂🤣 her mother always would give us some rye bread with butter and every time I have that dark rye bread(no seeds) I think of her. Charmaine also would drive us around in her car to different neighborhoods and we would go door to door and hand out flyers for her studio. I think she paid us but don't really remember. Thank you Charmaine for the memories and being on the today show. Love you, Tracey Kolenic❤️👯

3:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My cousin Shelley and I took tap and ballet from Charmaine from about '72-'76. That picture brings back such memories, and the comments about Mrs. Sales. I remember Miss Charmaine tapping by butt to push it in on my plie's. :) I remember getting cheese popcorn from a little store next door before class. And my Mom an aunt also took dance classes with her at night. Such good memories.

12:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I took ballet classes with Miss Charmaine too in 1964-66. I was 4-6 years of age. I remember the smell of donuts and in the area outside smelled of heavenly fried fish and chips. I will never forget her dance classes which helped me become a cheerleader from high school in AZ, through college cheerleading at Arizona State University in the early 80's. I just retired from a police dept in Arizona after 30 years. I loved feeling like a beautiful princess in Miss Charmaines dance studio and in our beautiful sequined teal and black recital dresses. Happiest times of my life without a care in the world. Forest Park too: Shetland pony rides, swimming pool, zoo that I thought was so cruel to the beautiful animals there, and heavenly extended family barbeques. I miss the simplicity.....and having family close by....

8:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I remember taking tap and ballet in the mid-60's. I was probably 5 or 6. I have a physical disability which makes it very hard for me to stay balanced and both feet have "drop foot". None the less, my mom would take me to Charmaine's and up that long flight of stairs to the second floor. I don't recall ever making it to a recital. I loved the classes, even though I would be slipping all around with the tap shoes and falling down. 1st and 2nd ballet positions = I was pretty proud of myself. Once I hit 3rd, 4th and 5th it was tough going. My mother said that she would "sit in the waiting room and cry" because it was so hard for me. But I never saw her cry and am ever so grateful to have been accepted as I was.

5:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home